Race report: Darley Moor 2018 round 4



Intro
For the vast majority of racers, the old Airfield circuit of Darley Moor does not hold the same appeal as the fast flowing, tree-lined circuit of Oulton Park previously visited. For the CRMC, there was a reduced entry for the meeting but for those that did go, it would prove to be a very rewarding race meeting indeed.

On a roasting July weekend: Squadron Leader Symon Woodward and Corporal Gavin Heggs were joined by Wing Commander David Williams, a local legend and track expert (as declared by the rest of the Team). Williams made the mistake of claiming to quite like Darley Moor, so naturally the rest of the team all wanted to follow him round the circuit and generally berate him otherwise.

Williams, the first RAF Regiment member of the Team, has started racing with CRMC after numerous seasons racing mainly 600s with other Clubs (in particular Darley Moor). He has been in the background over the last few meets but we were happy to have him along with his FZ600. Staying in the top ten in the Junior Production class was no mean feat and he routinely put on quite a display on track, simulating the Red Arrows as he circulated the track with a smoky haze trailing behind.  He even left his mark in/on the Gazebo with a fuel/soot/oil mark a 2-styroke would have been proud of.

Of course we can't fail to mention Woodward’s clanger, after all the grief he gave Williams, he failed to mention that he holds the lap record in the PC 500 class on this circuit. You almost managed to keep that one quiet!

Post Classic 500 air cooled
#157 Woodward.

What a difference a day makes, expectations were high for race 1 where I started 5th, behind four 750s (separate class) and first 500.  My start was poor but after 2 laps I claimed the lead of the 500s braking into the final corner of the lap. This lead lasted half a lap when my chain split link failed whilst pulling out of the hairpin. I coasted to the paddock hot and frustrated.  The 2nd race was even worse, at the drop of the flag my chain tensioner completely failed whilst trying to get away, this resulted in the rear wheel being pulled out of line and the chain coming off. I was stationary at the front of the start grid just hoping that none of the bikes behind were going to collect me on their way through. Luckily they all missed, so with the help of a Marshall I dragged the bike off the grid (rear wheel jammed against the swing arm meant it was not moving) and firmly deposited it in the tyres whilst I stomped off to fetch some tools.
The Sunday was a different day all together, after some good racing I won both races but not until I made life harder for myself.  Due to not posting a lap time in the previous race I started at the back for the third race, although life was made slightly easier by the “not-full” grid.  After winning the first race of the day I started at the front only to not be able to select neutral or fully disengage the clutch after the sighting lap.  This meant that I rolled past the start line and did a loop to the back of the grid, as I turned round at the back of the grid, the starter flag went down which meant, yet again I started at the back!!
Post Classic 750 SUPERSTOCK
#74 Heggs 
The VFR had suffered some cooling issues at Oulton park so during the month off I purchased a twin radiator setup and had big plans to get this all fitted. As often happens; other things getting in the way meant this wasn't going to be a viable job in the time I had. Instead I cleaned up the old radiator a bit, flushed the coolant and added a 6x derived infill panel from Spyk at Ragged edge racing. This is designed for the twin radiator setup I hoped to fit but would direct more airflow into the core of the upper radiator at the cost of a little masking at the bottom on the taller stock radiator I currently had fitted.
 All of the races on the VFR followed the 250 class by one or two races or immediately so I came into each race very in the zone but also extremely hot. The VFR clearly felt my pain and was also running very hot but putting down good power when the gearbox would let it.
After a fairly uneventful timed practice; race one started well but gear shifts got progressively worse as the race wore on. Finally, towards the end of lap three at the exit of the hairpin I could not get drive in any gear at all. I pulled in on Pope straight and as I leaned the bike against the tyre wall, I spotted my chain hanging off. Well that will do it!
As a result of this and other issues with the bike, I opted to miss race two as it was immediately after the 250 and I didn’t want to add any more pressure to my already rather hot and bothered self.  
Saturday night allowed me to bleed the clutch and find a suitable replacement front sprocket bolt (the cause of the chain removal) with the help of Sy's well stocked van and the ever helpful Squadron Leader (rtd) John Walton.
Race three saw me starting from the back of the grid but a strong start threw me into the melee of the first set of esses. From there I was able to hold my place into paddock corner picking off a few riders before the pack stretched out. The VFR750 is a lot faster than the RD250 on the straights causing me to really second guess my braking points as I swapped between the two machines but these were gradually pushed out. A slightly "spirited" entry into park corner as I tried to follow a terrifyingly fast TZ750 resulted in me finding the ground clearance limit of my right fairing but that was it for me till the end of the race as I was left in no man's land.
Race 4 built on my efforts in the last race allowing me to start in a position where I could at least see the top of the start flag. Another good start helped me grab a few places followed by a double overtake into the first set of esses on lap two. I felt good but the VFR was hot again and the clutch was starting to feel a bit useless. I slowed my acceleration on the straights a fraction but kept pushing into the corners which allowed lap times to continue dropping and for me to hold my place. Exiting park corner I saw yellow flags and a haze of dry grass and dust above the esses. A rider had come off and there were parts everywhere so I slowed to avoid these which allowed a rider to pass me. Racing continued and as I started to close the rider in front on the exit to the hairpin the red flags came out. We filed into the grid area as the VFR protested with limited clutch action and 108 degrees on the water temp gauge whilst the track was cleared. 10 minutes of relentless sunshine later we were advised to return to our pitches and await further instruction. It was clear to me the VFR would not be able to start the next race with the clutch the way it was so I opted to pack up. As it happened the race was never restarted anyway so the VFR managed to dodge that one.

Post Classic 250 air cooled

Race 1

#74 Heggs 
Practice had been a bit pedestrian from me due to not knowing the circuit so I was starting from a grid position in the 30's
My start was okay but that needn't have mattered as progress dropped to a crawl through the esses. I happily followed along, pretending I didn’t know where I was going as others barged through at all angles. Once things had stretched out a little I began to follow, pick off then follow the next bike and so on. I continued doing this till I started getting into place swapping with a couple 350's who would pass me at Park Corner or into the hairpin but I would close in on them at the esses and pass on the exit. Overall I made a couple of places and wasn't too far off the pace of the next guy in class in front of me. A good start.

#157 Woodward.
I wasn’t on the pace of fast John so had a race long battle with a “super-quick” Bridgestone Suzuki which I eventually lost, finishing 3rd, definitely room for improvement.

Race 2

#74 Heggs 
After a very hot afternoon attempting to rectify my VFR and force water into my face I was less than enthusiastic to put my leathers back on. A similar performance to my last effort saw me starting from a slightly better place and finishing in a slightly better place. Once I was moving I started to feel better and enjoy myself. I managed to shave over a second off of my lap time and was feeling pretty good even if I couldn't quite break free from the 350's that consistently had me into Park Corner.
As I put the RD on its stand and started to de-prep the bike, I noticed Woodward hadn't returned just as the recovery van pulled up with him in it. I waited till he had 5 minutes to get himself composed before I met him in his van with a big grin. "I know, I know; To Finish First, First You Must Finish" he laughed back at me. We were now on equal points in the championship and I had all night to enjoy it.

#157 Woodward.
Much like the first race fast John lead from the front leaving me again with a race long battle with the Bridgestone. Unfortunately the front fairing bracket failed and the whole fairing dropped down, severely interfering with the forks/handling/steering. This made the chicane very exciting (not) and after just retaining control I pulled off the circuit and waited for the collection van. This is where ex-GE (Ground Engineer) machinists, John Walton, comes into his own. He supports the Team with his own trailer, equipped with a huge Generator and a TIG Welder.  Not only did he grind back and repair the mount, but he also reinforced it with some metal we found in my van to stop a repeat.   After the two 500 and one 250 DNFs I was not in the happiest of moods but luckily the repair was good, Hamilton was on Pole England had performed well and there was cool Cider in the fridge, so it wasn’t all bad.
Race 3
#74 Heggs 
Another step up on the start pushed me a little further up the rankings into the esses then on the advice of William’s I entered the right hand park corner from the centre of the track and not the left. This stopped the 350's from nipping in front of me and allowed me to use my corner speed advantage. I pulled a few more places before I was in a pack of 6 machines. We exchanged places on almost every section of the track even briefly colliding when one of them chopped across the front of me on the hairpin leaving me nowhere to go other than to nudge his back wheel. In front of the cloud of machines I was in, I saw Graham Acott in the distance. It wasn't long before we were on top of him but it was clear that something was up as he pulled off the racing line and stuck his hand in the air. With Graham passed it was back to business and we were really racing in our pack. I was over joyed to cross the line in front of them all and felt I had really fought for that place. On later inspection of the timing sheet; I had taken another second off my lap time. On even closer inspection I had actually come third in class which really did surprise me. Notwithstanding, it was a podium through attrition, it was still my first time up on any of the steps.

#157 Woodward.
The Bridgestone was missing from the grid unfortunately and after a good start I found myself in the lead. This didn’t last long until I was joined and overtaken by John. He slowly pulled away and left me scrapping with 2 350s until the end of the race. At least this second place put me back in front of Gav in the Championship, so I wouldn’t have to face his knowing grin for a while.


Race 4

#74 Heggs 
The call for our last race was delayed so by the time we got down to the holding area the bikes weren't warmed up yet as we were hustled onto the circuit. I was now starting on the row behind Woodward but my start was very poor with just no power, letting a number of bikes pass me and blocking my chance of staying with Woodward of ever Graham Acott. The bike never felt particularly strong for this race and I was starting to become concerned that the heat was finally getting to the RD engine. I managed, for the most part, to hold my own with the help of some later breaking and a changed apex on paddock corner. Seeing Graham again, this time barely coasting, signalled another gifted podium if I managed to make the RD finish. I managed the bikes temperature for the rest of the race before finishing for a hot hand over for the VFR750's last race. Another 3rd place for me but I would have liked to have finished stronger.

#157 Woodward.
I got another good start and was determined to make John Warrick work for his points so I got my head down and went for it. After a lap or so he showed his front wheel and the battle commenced. We changed places a few times and I remained with him for about 2 thirds of the race.  We were both getting quicker but unfortunately he was getting quicker, quicker than I was and started to pull away. Although he had me beaten I was content that competed with him and made him work for his points.

In Closing

#74 Heggs
I ended up quite enjoying Darley Moor. Its simplicity let me really focus on improving on each corner. This was the first time I have really felt comfortable and dare I say competitive in a hairpin too. The proof of this came in some good results, my first pair of podiums and getting the fastest lap time of the RAFMSA team. The VFR750 may be the biggest bike on the team but it is still sweat to just squeeze in front of lap record holding, podium squatting Woodward.

#157 Woodward.
Saturday was terrible, Sunday was fun. I even managed to prep the RD400 for Donnington as I leave the country the day after Darley and return the evening before Donnington. Normally I would let it slide, but as Gav’s confidence seems to be a bit over exuberant I would just like to point out that on a circuit with a huge straight his 110BHP 750 did lap ½ a second quicker than my 48BHP 1970s 250, but he was still 2 ½ seconds slower than my 65BHP RD400!!!!! Dream on Gav.

Finally special thanks go to the companies who continue to support us: EBC brakes UKTalon EngineeringStahlwille UKForcefield body armourMCA Leicester,   NGK spark plugs UKRoyal Air Force Motorsports AssociationRoyal Air Force Central FundSpencer RacingTony Salt TyresWitham group MotulSpeedbikepicsSports picsR-Tech Welding and individual sponsor for Symon Woodward: Mick Abbey tuning. An extra special thank you goes to Derek Carruthers for all of the photographs he took of us at the hairpin that we have greatfully used on this blog. 


Comments