Race report: Mallory Park 2018 round 6

Intro
It seemed like a long break since Donnington Park. In that time summer had seemed to have expired as cooler weather and damp skies crept back in. September was here and it wasn’t messing about bringing autumn with it.
It was time for Mallory Park where basically, you spend a third of each lap tackling Gerard’s long right hand bend  which then sends you into a quick right left bend (No Edwina’s chicane for the CRMC), before hitting a hairpin, a bus stop and starting all over again. It’s a quick circuit to learn but there is enough to it to keep you picking fractions of a second away with little improvements here and there.
This meeting saw Andrew Green, David Williams, Gavin Heggs and Symon Woodward pitching their gazebo in the dry but with threatening skies, the riders started to ponder just how committed they would be whipping round this track.
Post Classic 500 air cooled
#157 Woodward
After a terrible start in the first race I soon picked my way to the front and made a healthy gap which I maintained until the end to take the win. Although the win was reasonably comfortable I was not the fastest bike out there so I knew the next races were not going to be as simple. The second race start was so bad it made the first one look good as a combination of missed gear and over aggressive throttle made me front wheel pogo down the start straight as the rest of the field streamed past. Ollie Bingham and Richard Llewellin, made a break and gapped me which I was never able to close, finishing 3rd with a slightly slower lap time than the two in front. I needed to pull my finger out and pick the pace up.
The 3rd Race was early Sunday morning and straight after the 600 Jnr Production race which I was also in. this meant I jumped straight off the FZ600 and onto the RD400, started it and went out. Despite my best effort to get some heat in the engine during grid formation and the sighting lap, I failed. After a good start (typical) I got as far as the entry into Gerard’s where the engine cold seized, ripping the crown off one of the pistons.
With the 400 dead, I took the 250 out for the last race as my lap times between the bikes were not that far apart and I needed the points. Due to not getting a lap in, in the previous race, I started at the back of the grid but managed to rev the 250 through the field to take 3rd, which I was more than pleased with.
600 Junior Production
#61 Williams
I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed so much close 2-wheeled competition in one weekend. The Mallory Park round had a bit of everything including variable weather conditions and, for me, the added incentive of a second RAF Classic Racing Team FZ600 in the ‘proddy’ class, kindly donated by Spencer Racing and expertly prepared by Andy Green. Unfortunately, Andy was only able to qualify before pulling up injured, so Symon Woodward gallantly stepped in to race the bike. This is when the ‘healthy competitive banter’ started. More of this in a moment.
I’d spent some time since the Donington Park round tidying up my FZ, rebuilding the brake callipers, shaving a few grams off here and there, reducing the steering lock so I could flatten the bars for more rider space and leverage and fitting a replacement end can for the original that split a seam in the last race at Donington. I also replaced several of the exhaust studs and secured the headers using aero-nuts, a revelation to me that finally prevented the pipes from trying to leave the bike on lap 3 of every race. I hadn’t raced at Mallory Park for 17 years and to be honest I wasn’t sure I was going to enjoy the experience. I needn’t have worried.
A wet Post Classic 750 qualification went well, qualifying in 7th place and racing to between 11th and 14th whilst re-learning the track and quickly settling into the 59 second lap time bracket. Not bad for a 30-year-old 600. In a packed proddy class each rider was scheduled to race 4 of 5 races, with every grid based on day 1 qualification and I was content to qualify mid-pack. Andy Green put the second FZ four rows behind making me a target for Sy Woodward’s legendary ‘back of the grid to first, before turn one’ starts. The first 2 races were brilliant, with hectic action on every bend and a 10th and 14th, Sy behind me on both occasions on what was proving a slightly underpowered contender. Talk of ‘you’re only as good as your last race’ and rain, however, upped the ante for our last outing, with Sy obviously hoping a wet track would be to his advantage. The flag dropped and I tried to start in neutral and everyone including Sy shot past me as I frantically latched on to the back of the pack. Working my way through the backmarkers I could see Sy dicing in a group ahead. As I got close I backed off approaching the hairpin to try to slingshot up to him onto the start/finish straight - just in time to see him taken out by another rider. A few laps later I crossed the line in 9th, my best result of the season so far. I can’t wait to get out again at Cadwell Park. I’ll be praying for rain now I know how well the Fizzer goes in the wet!!
#157 Woodward
After Andy had spent so much time preparing the FZ for the track it was a shame he was unable to ride it, but at least it gave me the chance which I am grateful for. It is completely different to the 2 strokes which I was racing but luckily quite similar to my ZXR400 which I occasionally wheel out for a spin. I only had two intentions, to return it back to Andy in one piece and to pass Dave, both of which as it turned out, I failed to do.  Piling into one of the fastest circuit corners in the UK, with a full field of 600s after literally only riding the bike for the sighting lap was an interesting moment to say the least, but we all survived.  Throughout the race I could always see Dave’s leathers and I reeled him in. The Production class is tightly controlled and although some bikes are slower than others they are all similar in performance, except for this tired example which was noticeably down on power, generally loosing me between 2 and 6 places a straight. This did however make for a fun race, by the final lap I was on Dave’s tail and tried to ride round the outside of him at the hairpin but another bike got in the way and Dave safely made it to the “Bus Stop” ahead of me.  Although Dave had beat me, on my first time on the bike I had caught him up and lapped quicker, the “Banter” was on.
The second race saw Dave disappear in front of me as I ended up in a 7 bike battle behind. I missed the 3rd race as it was my race to drop and Dave missed the 4th race so it was all on for the last race. The track was wet but drying, I tried to ride around the outside of as many bikes as possible on the first lap of Gerrard’s which worked out quite well. Although I didn’t notice passing Dave I could see all of the 5 bikes in front so knew Dave was behind me although I was in too much traffic to bother about looking for him. On the penultimate lap, whilst 3 abreast going into a hairpin I saw another rider shooting into the corner on my inside at completely the wrong speed, I could see he was not stopping so I waited for him to pass before I would turn-in into the corner. Unfortunately as he passed my front wheel he locked-up his, and his bike went down skittling my front wheel away in the process. I am sure I could see a grin inside Dave’s helmet as he passed me lying in the track.
Post Classic 750 SUPERSTOCK
#74 Heggs 
I wasn’t especially looking forward to riding the 750 at Mallory. Much how I love Gerard’s, which would be perfect for the big Viffer, the hairpin and bus stop were not going to be any easier on the bigger machine.
The VFR was out first for practice. I set off into my favourite corner with the bike feeling planted and confident as I drew in the few bikes that had set off before me. Seconds later I had reached Shaws (the hairpin) and the bus stop which seemed far smaller than I remembered. I muddled my way through fairly slowly but not losing out a great deal to other riders so I felt a little better.
The bike was also feeling a fair bit better. Engine temperatures were staying at sensible levels with the cooling weather and another alteration to the exhaust link pipe had sorted all of my ground clearance issues out. The only hiccup for the weekend was the bike struggling at low RPM as I came in from race two which turned into a full carb rebuild which any VFR owner will tell you isn’t much fun.
That aside, a continuing worry (mainly from other team mates) was just how useless my Diablo Corsa tyres would be in the wet. Thankfully they did me proud in the, at worst, damp conditions we met this weekend.
Onto racing: I gradually made improvements here and there holding good pace through Gerard’s and the Lake Esses. I had some nice little scraps with a friendly chap called Mike Gilson on his bright red VFR and a few other Honda riding brethren. Thankfully I was generally able to pull my way to the front of my pack and hold some space to win my little battles. In doing so, I dragged a few points out of each race and more valuable time on the track.
Looking at the results in hindsight; things are improving which is important with the impending entry of another RAF rider on a VFR750 next year. I need to up my game if I want to stay in front of him!
Post Classic 250 air cooled
Race 1
#14 Green

This was going to be interesting: Due to an injury, I pulled out of practice after the mandatory 2 laps. This resulted in me starting on the last row of the grid which wasn’t ideal but I just had to get on with it. I was, at a guess, half way through the grid by the time I reached Gerard’s corner, with me making up more places through the long corner. Over the next few laps I caught Heggs up and sat behind him. Heggs has an interesting line through the hairpin which would allow an articulated lorry through on the inside. This gave me the plan to nip on his inside on the last lap. It turn out I didn’t need to as I was less than a bike length behind him around Gerard’s when his bike threw its chain, luckily for me I take a tighter line so the chain and Heggs were not on my line. This gifted me third place.


#74 Heggs 

The RD was my second practice machine so I qualified well for race one but not quite as well as I would have hoped. This was soon gone from my mind though as I made a great start, clearing 7 places off the line and latching onto the front pack into Gerard’s.  I had the pace through Gerard’s and Lake Esses but lost time through the Hairpin and Bus Stop on every lap letting Graeme Acott, the next rider in front of me, pull away.
I knuckled down with Andy Green in tow but some bumps on the entry into Gerard’s were severe enough to pop my drive chain off the rear sprocket and in doing so knock me out of the race. I pulled in at the far side of the circuit to the lament of the marshals who were all looking forward to a 1/3/4 for the RAF team in this race. Sadly it was not to be and my best chance for a 3rd place trophy had been missed.

#157 Woodward.


I had a good start from the front row and had a battle with “Fast John” for the first lap were it became clearly evident that his bike was not well, he dropped back and then retired, leaving me with a comfortable win.




Race 2

#14 Green

Gridding up on the second row was a better start than the previous day. However, with the injury, I was struggling to concentrate. I made a good start and thought I would be first into Gerard’s as I took the tighter line. This wasn’t the case as Symon and Graeme came across the front of me and all three of us tucked in behind each other around Gerard’s. Nothing much changed until I got up to the hairpin, where I realised I was unable to really hold onto the bars. By the time I reached the bus stop I had decided that I needed to retire from the race. So I managed to pull in on the following lap. It was not looking good for the rest of the day.

#74 Heggs 

I may not have got the result on race 1 but my efforts were not in vein as I was 6th on the grid for race 2. This would be a damp one on the Sunday morning with a wet inside line round Gerard’s and puddles dotting the course. I made an average start, soon following Green round Gerard’s, watching spray fly off his rear wheel and another four stroke nearby squirm on the damp surface. Out of the corner I wound the RD on and passed Green for a clear run into the Lake Esses. I was surprised when a Goldstar, and not Green passed me up the inside into the hairpin. I had fully expected to get into a battle with Green, but as it turned out he had retired. I passed the Goldstar up the start finish straight and settled into Gerard’s again, starting the whole process off again. I kept a safe pace for the rest of the race as I didn’t want to lose the next two races due to an over exuberant wet race spill. Nobody passed me so I kept my third place and more importantly finished with the bike upright.

#157 Woodward.

I lead from the start in this damp race but was continually pressurised by Graeme whose Suzuki was never more than a couple of seconds behind.  It was a case of staying on and staying in front.
Race 3
#14 Green

Having retired from the previous race I decided to take some extra pain killers and hope for the best. I was starting again from the back of the grid due to the last race’s retirement. Off the line I again soon got knuckled down and got onto the back of a group of riders. I thought I’d try and pass the small group on the brakes into the hairpin. I did manage to pass 3 machines on the brakes, with the EBC pads making this job easy. However the extra pressure put on my shoulder put me off and I over shot by a bike length, now trying to brake with only one hand firmly on the bar.
I composed myself and managed to pass them all during the following lap. This then allowed me to gap the following group with a comfortable distance between us. I was going well until the last lap when coming into the Esses I had to back off as the pain was unbearable and I just wanted to finish. I made it around the Hairpin through the Bus Stop and was coasting down Devil’s Elbow to the finish line, when the trailing group of 4 came through and over the line in front of me.

I never entered the last race as I was unable to ride the bike safely and competitively.

#74 Heggs 

My conservative riding had ensured I was on the grid for race 3 but I was also starting a long way down it. A great start dragged me from 15th to 5th by the end of the first lap but a stronger Green made it past me after a few probing attempts at the Hairpin. Will Loder dropped himself in to the mix where we regularly swapped places due to our differing strengths. Loder would pass me each lap going into the Hairpin then I would close him through Gerard’s, passing into Lake Esses. This allowed Green to pull away for a few laps before we started to pull him back in. Dropping into the Devil’s Elbow on the last lap I could tell I wouldn’t make it passed Loder for the chequered flag but we were really close to Green now. I dragged Loder as close as I’d dare before swinging out to his left, making it halfway up the side of him by the line but most importantly half a wheel in front of Green.

#157 Woodward.

A flag to flag win, another 25 points J
Race 4
#14 Green

I didn’t go out, but the bike did… John Warwick had retired earlier in the day with a damaged crank. Knowing I was not going out in the last race he asked if he could borrow my bike as he only needed a mid-pack finish to take the Championship. The camaraderie around the paddock is that the majority of people will help anyone out. Knowing John I of course said he could. The race got underway with John at the back of the grid. It was an odd thing watching your bike being ridden by someone else. John quickly made his way to the front and was leading by the end of the third lap. By the end of the race he had taken over half a second off the lap record! John has the advantage of racing 4 bikes every meeting and is one of the quickest guys in the Club.  

#74 Heggs 

Race 4 started well again but I was soon mobbed by Loder and Warwick who was now on Green’s motorcycle. Loder had found some more pace this time as he barged me out of the way going into the Hairpin after I repeatedly showed him a wheel on my weakest corner. Richard Cheetham joined me for the rest of the race who I managed to only just finish in front of by the end, as the RD lost power running up to the start finish straight. Sadly I had to settle with 4th place as Warwick flew away on Green’s machine taking the win and dropping us all back.


#157 Woodward.

Although my lap times had been a second off “Fast John’s” lap record I felt I had the extra second in me, if needed. I knew I needed it this race if I was going to stand any chance of staying in front of John. Technically, he only had to finish mid-field to clinch the Championship before the final 2 races at Cadwell next month, but I knew that would not have been John’s thought, he always wants to win every race. I started as fast I could and raced off but it didn’t stop me seeing John appear mid-race. I lapped with 0.1 second of his lap record, but unfortunately, he set a new one on Andy’s bike.

In Closing
#14 Green

A very disappointing Mallory Park, with me being nowhere near a competitive pace and out of the last round at Cadwell Park due to injury. Hopefully I will be all sorted for 2019.

#74 Heggs 

I was quite apprehensive about Mallory. The circuit has some of the best and worst corners for my limited skill set but I managed to muddle my way through and pull in some good results. Any hopes of catching Graham Acott in the Championship are pretty much over, but at least I have made my position fairly safe. Onwards to a day at Cadwell Park to see what I can do there to wrap this thing up.

#157 Woodward.

A mixed but enjoyable weekend, the FZ racing was fun and hectic, the 500 races were good but were marred by the engine failure and the 250 ran really well. Disappointing to be out of the 250 Championship race, but it has been won by the best rider in the class this year.


Photography credits go to Derek Carruthers and Craig Hornsby.

Comments