Race report: Castle Combe 2019 round 1

Intro
When faced with an April return to racing at a circuit you don’t know, gloomy thoughts might start to fog the mind. However; after a sneaky Friday practice (for some) the circuit was dry and the forecast wasn’t looking too bad either.
An evening walk round the surprisingly less than flat, former airfield circuit of Castle Combe brought up a series of late apexes, a couple of chicanes and some very sticky looking tarmac.
Below, as with previous years, we have broken down the round into its classes and where appropriate (the heavily RAF populated PC250 class for example). Broken into individual races.
Each sub-headed rider has written about their own perspective (skewed though it may be) in their own words which we hope will help you relive or catch up on the weekend actions.
image credit Kerry green from the air cooled RD group.
Before we get stuck into that though it is well worth mentioning the shear amount of visitors and well wishes we have received this weekend. From former RAFMSA members to motorcycle enthusiasts, we met hundreds of people all with a story to tell. One particular welcome visitor was Mick Gadsby from R-tech welding who came to visit the team after 2 years of sponsorship. Talk of welding equipment quickly turned to motorcycles and before long Mike was off to check out the racing action. We hope you enjoyed the show!
Post Classic GP350

#51 Kirkby
Sadly Castle Combe wasn’t meant to be. Despite having completed 90% of the work on the bike over winter the remaining (critical) 10% proved to be too much in what bit of time was left. I could have ‘winged it’ with my Plan B but with a 20 hour round trip from North of the border it would have been a huge risk at enormous expense.
Next stop Pembrey…..onwards and upwards!


Post Classic 500 air cooled
#157 Woodward
Well, that was a Bathtub weekend, started really well, went a bit pear shaped in the middle and ended on a high. After a couple of laps of qualifying the bike was chattering and sliding everywhere, when a TZ pulled alongside frantically waving at my rear wheel I looked down to see what could only be described as a black ringed, Pringle shaped disc spinning beneath me. I pulled into the pits to discover a very buckled back wheel with 6 broken spokes, it had been slowly unzipping itself and could have turned out really nasty if I had tried to continue. Unfortunately my selection of used tyres had nothing  suitable for the 400 so I got a new tyre to fit on the replacement rear wheel. The front Heidenhau was “spot on” as usual.
After starting mid-field for the first race I made good progress to catch up with and then have a race long battle for first with Gary May and Richard Llewellin. I made it to the front on the Penultimate lap and thought I was safe when entering the final chicane on the last lap, but a missed gear on the exit made it a desperate dash to the line where I managed to beat Gary and Richard by a wheel length over the line.
A combination of some  “Could-do-better” riding and some poor suspension tweaks meant that I wasn’t in the running at the front for the second race but I had a good tussle with Ollie Bingham and Richard Dobson to finish between them for 5th.
Unfortunately for the 3rd race, the pre-load tweaks on the suspension meant additional loading was put on the chain, (amateur mistake) and it snapped in the second lap. :-(
After starting from the back for the final race I failed to even see Gary and John, (Richard retired) but I had another excellent dice with Ollie and Richard, finishing 3rd.
I have never really “gelled” with the TZ chassis on this bike, sometimes lapping almost as quick on the 250, but this year I have some “Green Suspension” modified forks and a borrowed rear shock from Andy, to hopefully make some headway. Although the rear spring is too soft we made definite improvements over the weekend. The TZ chassis now at least handles like the RD chassis, I just need to make it handle like a TZ chassis now.
600 Junior Production
#61 Williams
I was looking forward to the Proddy class as I'd gelled with the FZ over the course of last season. As usual the class was fast and competitive and, apart from a blip in race 2, I was very pleased to bag two 13th places from 40-odd starters. I'd been battling throughout with a front runner from last year and was 2 races to 1 up and ahead on the last lap of the fourth and final race when Mick Pennell out-drove me to the second chicane, block passed and tried to make a break for it with a couple of corners to go. Heading into the final chicane before the start finish straight I puckered up, way off the racing line and way past my breaking marker and headed for the first apex. Courtesy of the EBC brake set up I made it through by the skin of my teeth and held on for 12th. My name is Dave Williams and I'm a Post Classic Racing addict. Roll on the next round.
#71 Rudd
The year since i last rode the XJ600, An experience which highlighted the lack of handling and absence of brakes, has seen some routine maintenance including replacing fork seals, brakes,wheel bearings and the beginnings of a respray take place. The mechanical improvements were evident from the start but there is still room for improvement with the ground clearance. The bike ran without issue across the weekend finishing in the lower order across the races. Hopefully more track time and a few tweaks will see results improve as the season progresses.


Post Classic 750 SUPERSTOCK
#74 Heggs
The VFR was first out for me this weekend which made it always feel like the test run for the RD.
Practice was a confusing mess which I just about managed to survive. Williams had offered for me to follow him to get to grips with the circuit which he had spent the Friday test running both of his machines. This lasted till the first chicane where I outbraked myself trying to stay with him and decided to do my own thing before I binned it in practice. This resulted in a suitably pants start for race one.
When we got into the racing; on the whole I found myself figuring out where I was and trying to stay out of the way of the super bikes when I was inevitably lapped. This was the case for all but the third race which went a fair bit better. For whatever reason, my planets aligned and I found some good pace, picking up some places and getting back with my peer group.
On the whole the bike was running well ignoring the racket I was getting from that header pipe still and a gearbox full of neutrals. A little more focus might have helped me get somewhere near Williams fantastic pace.
#61 Williams
Wind forward nearly 6 months to a damp cold assembly area at a circuit I'd never seen before on a VFR 750 that had done 2 laps of Snetterton and then tried to commit 3rd party fire (and theft) hari-kari courtesy of an exploding battery. Under the circumstances I didn't have particularly high expectations for my debut in Superstocks. Worse, the handling was dangerous and 2 races in I thought i'd wasted my time building a VFR. Even the FZ didn't like it and had attacked the Honda in the back of the van on the way to the circuit falling on it and denting the end can. I was just hoping the poor handling was down to the road tyres I was trying out, changed wheels and crossed fingers.
Next day, lap one, and i've just stuffed the VFR up the inside of a handful of bikes into the first corner at Castle Combe. I was still laughing flicking through the first chicane thinking there's no way this thing should brake and turn this well and yet be more comfortable than any other bike i've ridden and with an awesome sound-track. Still rough around the edges, but now on a set of Avons, the bike was transformed and I was probably having the most fun i've had on a race track. Two 8th places and plans to iron out some of the creases before Pembrey. I'm also going to take out shares in Silkolene. It seems after 55,000 careful miles the vfr, like the FZ, is running a 1:1 fuel/oil mix. Saves undoing the sump bolt I guess.....
Post Classic 250 air cooled
Race 1
#14 Green
It was a late entry as I was not sure I would be fit to ride, however i’m glad I did. Practice was 3 laps as the track was thirstier than I imagined and i hadn’t put enough fuel in for a full qualifying session. I managed 7th on the grid which was good for my first time at the track and only 3 practice laps.
I found myself, at the start, gaining several places on the run to the first right hander and in second place just behind Woodward. John Warwick passed the pair of us and then Jerry Longland nipped through. The race then consisted of myself and Jerry exchanging places until I managed to squeeze in front at an opportune moment, the Suzuki x7 Jerry rides is a very nimble bike and is always ridden well. However my RD had the legs on him to the first right hander. The RD and me, being much heavier, should take a bit more stopping but this is not an issue with the sublime EBC supplied GPFAX race pads! Any outbraking into corners was down to me in this instance. Jerry again out braked me into that corner but i managed a better exit and held him off for the rest of the final lap and over the line. A good first tussle for 3rd after not riding since Donington 18.
#71 Rudd
X7 wars season 4 - a misguided hope. Optimistic that I may have found the root cause of last season's repeated failures I arrived at castle combe hoping for a positive performance. The first engine rebuild took place after qualifying. A mistake in the jetting saw the X7 seize after a couple of laps. Race 1 saw me start from the back of the grid and making good progress through the pack until the ignition rotor came loose…. Cue engine rebuild number 2.


#74 Heggs
With the RD following the VFR I had a vague idea where I was going for practice. This allowed me to start somewhere in the middle of the pack for race one.
The bike felt fine with a good start giving me a bit of breathing space to get on with the race. I had no hopes of staying with the front group but made it round with a few places picked up.
#157 Woodward
Due to numerous reasons I won’t bore you with, I arrived at the first meeting of the year with a collection of used tyres and wheels as I had not ordered any new ones over the winter. Some sneaky practice on the Friday enabled me to qualify 2nd and after an excellent start I took and held the lead until lap 4 when “Fast John” relegated me from the front, I tried to stay with him but he edged away leaving me in a solitary second place. On returning to the paddock I had to admit that Friday’s practice and the first race had totally killed the tyre which although worked well,  was looking very sorry for itself.

Race 2


#14 Green
3rd on the grid and ready for a good race. Somehow on the sighting lap i managed with my knee to knock the r-clip out of the rear fairing stay. This I didn’t notice until we were about to set off. I tried to pop the fairing back on and held it with my knee, however the starter spotted it and had to leave the grid. DNS!
I might recommend the starters carry a roll of speed tape. Many an aircraft has had a sortie salvaged with that stuff...
#71 Rudd
Still rebuilding...the new crank is in though.
#74 Heggs
A small improvement with my starting place gave me a little pick up for race two. I caught the front group but gradually dropped back with my slow pace in the chicanes. At some point the bike became noticeably louder with associated drop in power which hinted at broken exhaust springs. Eventually I was mobbed by various BSA Goldstars for another slight improvement but ultimately mediocre finish.
#157 Woodward
With a different rear wheel and tyre fitted I was taken by surprise to almost high-side myself out of the seat on the first corner of the sighting lap. The tyre I had fitted was far worse than the completely worn out one I had removed. This meant that I was unable to fully capitalise on John and Andy’s DNFs and after failing to keep with Jerry Longland I spent the whole race blocking each corner trying to stop Graeme Acott and Jason Burrill getting past.


Race 3
#14 Green
25th on the grid due to race 2 DNS. Focused on getting a good start was the plan, this I did and found myself near the front in the first ¼ of a lap somehow. I squeezed past the usual suspects at the front to get into 3rd by the end of lap 1. Jerry and Symon were the only pair in front and there wasn’t much separating them. I passed Jerry after the first chicane and on the run to the right before the second chicane I tipped in early and made it stick tight, holding onto the gear a little longer than i would normally.
I had half a bike length on Symon and the inside line into the chicane. Leaving the brakes until the point of no opportunity to tip in on the outside I managed to hold Symon off. Once through I settled and managed to pull a 4 second gap. After a quick look over my shoulder i was happy that Symon and Jerry were having a tussle. This gave me the breathing space to relax and get back unhindered. Racing is a funny lark,whilst out in front your mind tends to go in overdrive. Whilst not keeping track of the laps, it feels as though the lap counters had gone to lunch. The last lap flag never seems to come soon enough.  
#71 Rudd


Starting from the back of the grid I was making reasonable progress while watching the temp gauges like a hawk. After a couple of lap the temps were a little high. Rather than rebuild again I retired to make some adjustments.



#74 Heggs
With a few races under my belt now I was running out of excuses for being rather slow. I had a really good start getting on the tail of Graham Acott for some fresh air before letting Andy Guy past for the follow I really needed. This would be some fantastic experience as he is a superb rider with a slightly slower machine so I could make up gaps whilst picking up on his better lines through areas I was slow at.
This however did not work out as my bike let go into every corner under pace. I had some serious suspension setup issues and I was going to crash if I didn’t slow down. A black bike ( I forget his number) got past me into Bobbies chicane but ended up on the grass for his efforts allowing me back past him on the straight. I couldn’t hold him off however as my bike returned to a wobbly mess in the corners. He made the same pass and a false neutral ensured I did not get it back before the finish line.
It later transpired that I had not set my front suspension at all in my haste to get the bike built in time but to add to my problems my sprocket had worked partially loose causing a vibration bad enough to undo my swing arm spindle. That could have ended badly!
Thankfully we now have a superb Stahlwille tool kit so everything was torqued back up correctly. Lets hope that doesn't happen again.


#157 Woodward
After swapping the suicidal rear tyre for the one which was on the collapsed wheel from the 400 the bike behaved itself and I had an excellent 3-way dice for second place with Andy and Jerry, which Andy won ahead of me and then Jerry.

Race 4
#14 Green
Pole position for the final race, off the start I found myself in 4th after the first lap. I managed to recover back to 3rd with Woodward just in front. John Warwick was already gapping the pair of us. What preceded over the next 8 laps cannot really be explained other than we estimate at the pair of us exchanged places 20 plus times. I don’t think either of us held 2nd place for more than 2 consecutive corners.
Kerry Green
The last but one lap had us close on a couple of back markers who were aware we were coming as John had already gone through. The rider whilst trying to help by pointing for us to go on the left, Symon had already committed on the exit to the first chicane to pass on the right, this meant i passed on the left whilst Symon half a bike length in front of me passing the back marker on the ¾ inch of tarmac spare on the right! The last lap was going to be all or nothing. I led over the line and up the hill, every lap so far Symon passed me on the brakes. I knew Symon wouldn’t brake until after I did so I held off the brakes maybe another couple of yards later. Symon then came past but in doing so was just late turning in as he was heavy on the brakes to make up the extra couple of yards. This allowed me to lead out of the corner for the first time, this lead i held onto through the next chicane and through the next couple of right handers. So far every previous lap  I was able to make up ground in the previous laps and focused on this to hopefully stay in front into the second chicane. I made it stick and it was then a clear run to the final chicane which i imagined was Symon’s last chance to try and squeeze past on the brakes. I decided to leave turning in until i could see the 2 apexes line up, giving me a straight run on the brakes deep into the turning point. I decided to bring the bike to an almost halt as there is only enough for 1 bike through at a time. Giving me the advantage out of there and to the chequered flag for 2nd.

#71 Rudd
The last race of the weekend and the X7 was going ok. Working my way through the pack. The bike felt a little down on power but was running ok...until lap 3. Approaching the final chicane there was a small misfire and on the exit the bike motor stopped. The cause was later found to be fouled spark plugs.
#74 Heggs
With the cause of my previous handling issues remedied I was back out on track and starting from the 4th row. My start was good and the bikes handling was back to what I had enjoyed in 2018. Two laps later however I was surprised to see the front pack still; things must be improving!
Paddock bend - PJM photography
A red TD2 got past me into the Esses which I managed to power back past on the following paddock bend so he punted back up past me at Bobbies. I had the pull on him down the staight into Avon rise where I got back in front which I held till we were back at Bobbies again where he got back past far more convincingly this time.
The last lap flag was out so it was time to pull my finger out (finally?).  Camp corner (the last cosrner) had been an anomaly to me all weekend but I found my way round with good pace as I headed into that last lap and rapidly closed the TD3 into Folley, a right kink that just joins two straights flat out, where I squeezed up the inside of him at max chat on the white line. I pulled some good distance on him (so I was told) but I rode the rest of the lap defensively with block entries into the chicanes. I finished with a good lead on him and a handshake showed no hard feelings. I may not have been contending for first but I certainly had a good race.
#157 Woodward
Wow, what a race!!!! Andy and I got a good start and although we couldn’t keep with Fast John we had an excellent race, swapping places at least twice a lap. This is what racing is about, when all of the expense and hassle seems insignificant to the euphoria of a good race. Would have been even better if I had crept past him into the final chicance on the final lap, but his fairing is as wide as a bus.
In Closing
#14 Green
A rewarding start to the season, especially as I wasn't thinking I would be fit enough. Extra physio paid off. The bike “never missed a beat” maybe that should be a hashtag for NGK Spark Plugs UK.
#71 Rudd
A bit of engine work on the X7 and ground clearance on the XJ required in the next 3 weeks and hopefully my luck will improve at Pembrey! But I won't bet my house on it..


#74 Heggs
What started out as a bit of a miserable experience grew into a pretty meaningful improvement. I ended up enjoying myself and wanting a few more goes to see just how good I could get at this circuit. Maybe next year...
#157 Woodward
A very enjoyable start to the season, which is going to be very hard fought if these races are anything to go by. Can’t complain, although after not winning a 250 race I find myself leading the Championship and after winning a 500 race I am not in the top 3, still we have a long way to go yet.



Huge thanks to Steve Bird for capturing and sharing these watermarked high quality images speedsnap.co.uk

Comments