Race report: Anglesy circuit 2019 Round 4

Intro
Gavin Heggs

Anglesey is a relatively new circuit, basically in the sea, on the north west coast of Wales on its own self titled island. 
It is easily one of the best looking circuits in the UK with stunning panoramas of the Irish sea and Snowdonia looming on the horizon. This is something you rarely get to enjoy whilst racing however as you are either far too in the zone to care and/or it is all hidden behind some variant on precipitation. 
The RAFMSA classic racing team have a history of coming here with high hopes and returning with broken machines and riders so the team came to anglesey with reduced numbers but high hopes to buck that trend. We shall see how that went.

Superbike 1/Formula 750
#45 Brown
Having been on a track walk with Dave on the night before, trying to absorb all of his track day knowledge, I knew I’d need to push a lot harder than my limited brain would like. Going into a wet Practice 1, I was quite content in qualifying last in this class, as I am using this class as track time. However something clicked as I was really able to push the bike, qualifying 13th of 25.
Unfortunately my new found confidence led to a crash in the Production practice so I missed the first race.  I started the second race very tentatively, my only goal was to finish, having just repaired the bent XJ, now with a lowered front end, FZ clip on handlebars (and beautifully reconstructed footpeg, courtesy of my chief mechanic Heggs), the bike felt very different. A fellow nervous rookie allowed me to finish one place above last, which I was more than happy with.
For the final two races my only goal was to get faster with the new XJ lay out, which I did. However; I don’t know if it was my weight now more lent over the front because of the lowered handlebars, but the bike wallowed just before I changed direction before rocket which was a bit unnerving. Overall extra track time gave me a good boost For the production class. 
600 Junior Production
#61 Williams
 Having enjoyed the track day on Friday I had decided to race the FZ and not the VFR which still has some handling issues that I am ironing out. 
Soggy practice went well and a wet race with the 750 saw me in a small group of FZ 600’s in the middle of the pack.
With the circuit drying I was looking forward to the Production. Unfortunately on the first lap as I tipped into the blind Rocket-in there was a bike and rider on the deck right on the racing line. I had nowhere to go and hit his bike sending me cartwheeling. The “fun” wasn’t over however as another rider hit me which resulted in a painful hospital visit and the end of my racing weekend.
         
#45 Brown
Gavin Heggs
Following a great practice in the Superbike 1 class, I felt really good in the wet. Unfortunately I pushed too hard and slid off on the right after Rocket, the nature of the crash made me believe I could get back on the bike and return to winning ways but as the marshal ran over and picked up my bike, straight away I could see my weekend may be over. The right handle bar was bent round to the fairing, the foot peg was vertical and the fairing was bent on to the tank. Luckily with a bit of beg, borrow and steal plus a chat with the scrutineers, we lowered the forks just over an inch and clamped on some FZ handlebars with Heggs and Williams’ help. Thanks mainly to others the bike was ready to go. 
PJM Photography
Again the repairs meant I only missed the first race, sadly though this was when we heard about Dave’s crash, luckily he is now on the mend. I was now out in the second race made up of a concoction of motorcycles we me on the humble XJ. My only goal was to finish, anything else would be a bonus. As the sessions went on I got faster and reached the chequered flag each time.

Post Classic 250 air cooled
#74 Heggs 
I made the decision to only ride the RD250 at Anglesey to reduce my workload a bit and (hopefully) have a bit more fun whilst not confusing myself with the different machines. Doing all this will clearly result in me finally being propelled to the top of my game and everyone else scabbling for the positions I leave behind me…
My last experience of Anglesey was wet, miserable and frankly horrifying so I won't pretend I was very excited about coming here. A 9 hour drive to get here didn’t do anything to excite me either but I had to give it another go, at least the sun was out.

Race 1
Gavin Heggs
Qualifying was held in the rain (shocker) so I put in some sensible laps resulting in me making the back of the grid look a bit better for the start.
The track was still wet with the rain starting to subside a little for my first race. I started well and opted to keep it sensible for this race knowing it was supposed to dry through the day. 
Gavin Heggs
As we put laps down, some of the more enthusiastic riders found the odd bits of oil leaching out of the circuit, thus spilling more oil as they tumbled off and taking more riders out.
Among them I saw John Warwick go down then Graham Acott and started to wonder how many riders in my class were now in front of me. As it turns out there was only one and in holding my position and managing to finish (unlike many others), I crossed the finish line in second!

Race 2
Gavin Heggs
In between the other dramas of the day I had another race to do. A little higher up the grid now and on a fast drying circuit I went out with a little more enthusiasm. We had the RS125’s out with us this weekend which we hadn’t done for quite a while. I found it useful to get some different lines round a few corners and they had plenty of power on the straights too so there was no monstering past them on the straights.
I gradually built up speed as I gained confidence in my knowledge of the circuit and the adhesion levels that is could offer on its slowly broadening dry line. 

 Race 3
PJM Photography
Following a Saturday evening track walk I had a better idea of what the circuit would let me do. Last time I was at Anglesey I had big problems with running off the circuit but this time I was able to push things a lot harder.
After a good start I was a couple of bikes behind the front pack but slow pace through the second corner (a wide hairpin called Banking) ensured I couldn’t hang on to them and fell in with a Honda ridden by our paddock neighbour Roy Hook. Where I lacked in skill, I made up for in power. This allowed me to howl past him from Bank through to Rocket in  where I would fumble and generally get in the way till he inevitably got past me again. We exchanged position a few times but we had however managed to clear the pack behind us so I decided to tuck in behind him and sort out some of my slow riding skills. This was hugely advantageous so when the last lap flag dropped I breezed past him and held the position with my new found skills till the chequered flag. I had made up 10 places, managed to finish third in class and I was feeling pretty good about it.
Race 4
PJM Photography
Starting from much higher up the grid now and with another good start I was one bike behind Graham Acott. This was exactly the person I wanted to be racing finally and I was excited to get involved. An RS squeezed up the inside of me into Church however I was able to gain the place back at the cost of leaving me to brake very late. I cleared Rocket but as I went to brake into Peel I struggled to find my brake lever. It felt like it had fully span adjusted out and when applied was hard and very rumbly hmmmm.
I coaxed the bike round for a lap trying to decide if the problem was serious enough or not, dropping places as I went. On the way through the corkscrew the second time I decided to pull in. It was fortunate that I did as the brake lever went to the handlebar with no effect as I pulled in so I was glad I had stopped racing or that could have been an interesting entry into the last corner! 
In Closing
#45 Brown
PJM Photography 
The week had its highs and lows. The community of the CRMC is awesome, when I was looking for parts to repair the XJ, a stranger lent me a push bike to make things quicker, not to mention how easy it was to find countless people offering spare parts, help and advice. Also following Dave’s accident, strangers and friends endlessly enquiring about his welfare, offering to help pack his van, by the end of the weekend we had several possible plans to get Daves van away all thanks to others, awesome! 

Personally a good weekend mostly, quicker and more comfortable on the bike. To take away, refit XJ handlebars, also in the last couple of races the carbs started to draw air, so a niggle to sort for Donnington. Finally thank you to Gav and Dave for their help with polishing out the XJs wounds.

#61 Williams
 I am on the road to recovery after my spill. I will not be attending Donnington park and it could well be a little while before I return whilst I recover.
I would like to extend my thanks to the many well wishers who passed on their thoughts and assistance in my hour of need. I would also like to thank the marshalls and medical staff who scraped me off the track and kindly didn’t cut my leathers off.
  

#74 Heggs 
A bit of a crazy weekend for us all. I surprised myself by enjoying the circuit once things had dried up and managed to do reasonably well. It was a bit of a pity that the front brake gave up on the last race (works fine now so guessing I boiled it) but I can’t very well complain with the sheer number of fallers this weekend. I hope everyone recovers quickly and want to extend my thanks to the CRMC staff and stacks of wellwishers but most importantly Jerry and Graham for helping us with Dave Wiliams.
PJM Photography - Dave Williams recieves care from an unamed marshal

You can keep catch up with our ups and downs with these race reviews which closely follow each race on our Blogger account. You can also Stay up to date with our goings on as they happen on Facebook and Twitter.
The Classic Racing Motorcycle Club (CRMC) offer live timing and have race results going back years so if you can’t make it to come watch the action you can still stay up to date with the help of 
We race under the banner of the Royal Air Force Motorsports Association (RAFMSA). If you are serving and wish to get involved with motorsports you can find all the contact details you will need on the RAFMSA website.


Finally special thanks go to the companies who continue to support us:
MCA Leicester, Spencer Racing, Tony Salt Tyres, Witham group Motul, Speedsnap All photography individually credited with special thanks to PJM Photography.
and individual sponsors:
Symon Woodward: Mick Abbey tuning.

Comments