Race review - Snetterton 2019 Round 7

Mick Rudd debuts his Yamaha RD250 after a huge build effort.

Intro
It’s a warm sunny Monday morning while I write this, a stark contrast to the conditions yesterday that would have better suited a snorkel and flippers rather than a motorcycle. Well the weather might not have been 100% on our side but, for those of us who made it, this final round of the 2019 season will be one to remember. For reasons good and bad.
Snetteron is normally somewhere towards the beginning of the years program so we were all a little surprised (some dismayed) to see it as the season finale. With two huge straights, this 2 mile long circuit doesn’t take as long to get round as you might think and does offer some rather different challenges in its layout.
Attending this weekend were Johnathan Brown, Gavin Heggs and Mick Rudd. Heggs had left the VFR750 at home so he could concentrate on the Yamaha RD250 but more excitingly, Rudd would would be fielding his own RD250 to replace the Suzuki X7. The RD was  built with the help of Andy Green, Dave Bond and Roy Dale. It certainly looked the part but we were all interested to see how it performed on the day.
600 Junior Production
#41 Brown
I was quite enthusiastic to be coming to Snetteron. It looks quite different to the other circuits I have sampled so far and I was curious to see what it had to offer.
After both practice sessions I came back excited to get stuck in. So much so a fresh front tyre(no rears in stock sadly) was purchased for that extra bit of grip that the weather conditions told me I might need.
I felt like my pace was improving as ever and a good start saw me in front of Rudd.
Things were going well as I closed the rider in front of me up until Murrays where my back end stepped out on me. Before I knew it I was flicked up into a high side and sent tumbling across the circuit. Fortunately for me the other riders managed to avoid me (and more importantly my bike)  but I had taken a battering none the less. That was the end of the weekend for me as I was carted off to Norwich hospital. If only they had a back tyre in stock...
You don't need to be a pilot to fly in the Royal Air Force

#71 Rudd
 After a tentative qualifying in damp conditions I was pleased to have found that i had qualified 24th on the grid, not amazing but reasonable progression on the FZ. 
Race 1 saw me line up alongside Jonathan Brown which should have made for an interesting race. The conditions had improved from qualifying but the first lap highlighted that there are some tricky corners in changing conditions. After an average start i set about chasing the riders ahead of me until the race was Red Flagged. Passing the incident i could see that Brown had come off and was in some pain. Following the restart there was a bit more caution in the field and I finished in 21st place.
Race 2 was started in sunny dry conditions. Confidence grew rapidly and I was able to push the FZ faster through the corners. The lap times reflecting the growing confidence. Despite closing the rider ahead down each lap I was unable to catch him crossing the finish line 1/10 sec behind in 24th.
Race 3 saw a return to the damp conditions with bikes running on when braking and losing grip exiting the corners. The FZ felt very twitchy at certain parts of the track. Then the rain began the pace slowed and everyone was just trying to survive. Not great racing weather but i managed to finish in 17th place. 
Post Classic 250 air cooled
Race 1

 #71 Rudd
 So i was building an RD250 to be ready for next season. Following Mallory the conversation turned to could it be ready for Snetterton? The reply from Andy Green was ‘Not Impossible’ after a month of continuous hard work from myself, Roy dale and Andy Green I arrived with a shiny new RD. the only downside was the bike had not turned a wheel in anger so was a complete unknown.  Qualifying saw me trying to adjust to the bike and get a feel for it in testing conditions. Eventually qualifying in 30th.
Race 1 saw me trying to explore the capabilities of the RD. It seemed quick enough with a couple of minor jetting issues and the handling was taking a while to get used to. I managed to have a good race with some of the 4 stroke bikes around me at the time and finished in 22nd place. Definitely room for improvement.
#74 Heggs 
 I wasn’t too sure what to expect when I set off for Snetterton. It had been a while since the last time I was here. I had a big spill then in the wet and that undoubtedly gave my wet riding a knock. I wasn’t even sure if I liked the circuit. I don’t dislike it but I couldn’t point at a corner and say “that’s a great fun corner” maybe the first one at a push, if it’s dry. I was hanging onto a 3rd place in the championship but Graham is a strong rider and I would really need a miracle for this to work. Although we were tied for 3rd place, I had finished all of my races where as Graham had not. The CRMC’s points system makes you drop your 4 worst results so I would only gain a few points on any poor results I had whereas Graham could get the full benefit of any place he got.
 Practice had gone well in the damp with me starting each race from position 8 on the third row next to Graham. The bike had been cutting out a lot, something that had been happening for a few meetings now, so I had stripped and rebuilt the wiring and carbs trying to find a fault. 
I shot off for the parade lap and ended up in front of everyone into the first corner which I wasn’t expecting, wish I could do that on the start! Typically my actual start was average at best. I was on the tale of Andy Guy but Graham snuck up the inside through the hairpin. I easily drafted and passed him on the straight but he was far more confident round a still damp Corams cleanly passing me round the outside. I was just about holding onto him when Ian Greens Invicta Arrow got between us and a few mistakes let them pull away. Next I had Gilberts TD3 swapping places with me, really killing any chance of getting back with Graham. To add further insult to injury this must have slowed us down as Richard Cheetham and Steve hands got between us. I was able to get back passed but was repeatedly mobbed preventing me from regaining my place. With Graham in third and me relegated to fifth, I only really had the moral high ground left to ride for on the next race.

Race 2

#71 Rudd
Race 3 was a series of false starts. Called to the holding area 3 times and a red flag in the early laps when we did eventually start. The rerun saw me making steady progress, jetting changes had improved things coming out of the corners and despite the conditions I was becoming more familiar with the bike. Seeing Graeme Acott in front of me spurred me on to try and chase him down. I managed to pass him late in the race and finish in 13th place.  

#74 Heggs 
 Slipper Snetterton struck and struck hard on Sunday. The earlier races of the day had a really bad time with crashing resulting in us being summoned and returned from the holding area 3 times due to oil on the circuit. When we finally got out the circuit had partially dried which was not good news. I don’t mind the wet but dry bits have a habit of making the racing a little too fast for the conditions.
Thankfully this didn’t happen and after a pretty good start I was on the tail of Andy guy again as the front pack filed through Montreal hairpin in single file. After a lap we were however red flagged and had a fairly long wait on the grid so a few of us laid our bikes against the wall and had a sit down. The highlight here was watching Acott get dragged across the grid by his feet by a bored Longland and Guy.  
The restart was similar to before, I found myself along side Jerry Longland but decided it would be silly/pointless to pass and stuck with following him through the unpleasant combo of Brundel left hander into Nelsons. Mike Hose who was on a mission came by with Richard Chetham who’s smooth riding is hard to beat in the wet.
There I remained for the rest of the race. Drawing the front riders in round Corams and Riches but dropping back through the hairpins. So I was unable to challenge any further. The slower pace of the wet riding was certainly flattering my very ponderous and unscientific riding but I managed to finish in third  within sight of some far better riders.  


Race 3 Race of the year
This was supposed to be a 10 lap race to finish off the year. The points don’t count for the championship but it is good for winding people up all winter. Sadly the weather got progressively worse with very heavy rain flooding the circuit. The Race officials held out for things to dry out but as people gradually left and the next heavy cloud headed our way, it was clear it wasn’t going to happen. We packed up and said our goodbyes with a promise for a future egg and spoon race to conclude the season. Jerry suggested a 3 legged race but that could end in more injuries than this entire season!

In Closing
#41 Brown
 Not the way I wanted to end the season but things could have been far worse. I’d like to extend my thanks to the marshals for scraping me up and convincing me to leave my bike alone, I wasn’t just winded after all. I would also like to thank the team for their support in getting my bike and kit home safe. I now look forward to a winter giving the Empress an engine rebuild along side tidying up her new battle scars. All once I am recovered of course.
#71 Rudd
 A positive weekend despite the weather. I managed to finish a 250 race for the first time this season on a bike that wasn’t supposed to be ready until next year with only minor adjustments required. Thanks for all the work Roy and Andy. thanks also to Dave Bond for sorting the exhausts.
The FZ ran solidly throughout the weekend and I am gaining more confidence in it every time I ride it. It does seem to be a bit down on power compared to the bikes around it so a good engine service is in order for the winter. Thanks again Spen for the use of the bike.
#74 Heggs 
 Well it isn’t easy letting go of a championship 3rd place but I have to find some positives here. Snetterton wasn’t completely terrible. No race of the year wasn’t a bad thing as it absolutely hammered it down for the rest of Sunday afternoon. Graham might have bested me in the championship but we are only as good as our last race. Oh and there is that little thing of being the top RAF rider in the PC250 class 2019. Lets see if I can do it again next year when everyone shows up!

  
You can keep catch up with our ups and downs with these race reviews which closely follow each race on our Blogger account. You can also Stay up to date with our goings on as they happen on Facebook and Twitter.
The Classic Racing Motorcycle Club (CRMC) offer live timing and have race results going back years so if you can’t make it to come watch the action you can still stay up to date with the help of 
We race under the banner of the Royal Air Force Motorsports Association (RAFMSA). If you are serving and wish to get involved with motorsports you can find all the contact details you will need on the RAFMSA website.


Finally special thanks go to the companies who continue to support us:
and individual sponsors:
Symon Woodward: Mick Abbey tuning.






Comments