Another update from the RAF classic motorcycle racing team

 Intro

Well this should have been our Pembrey race review. Everything was looking good then the inevitable happened and our season got cut even shorter. This is a real disappointment for most as despite the long drive, it really is one of the best circuits in the calendar. 

So sticking with tradition for 2020; here is our not racing review of the past few weeks from a selection of our riders.


Words from our riders

#14 Green

2 bikes ready and entered for Pembrey, which happens to be one of my favorite circuits. CANCELLED. So I have resorted to taking my chances with an October track day as a couple of bikes need a shake down. 

Disappointing season with only one meeting for myself. However not wanting to dwell I thought it time to finish a couple of bikes off. 1 being putting my 250LC back on the road. MOT passed and ready for a ride out. Maybe a little dyno time to give it a check over and see how the programmable ignition is getting on.

 

I also managed to get a couple of jobs done for other members of the team. Mick has had the RD250 on the dyno and I matched a cylinder up for Gavin after his destroyed itself at Cadwell Park in July. 

Another little job ticked off was the new TZ350 rear shock that’s been under development. Here it is having a final fitting at K-tech HQ. 

Just needs some track time and I will be good to go.


Still plenty of development work to go on other projects to keep myself busy. More details to follow and potentially an Italian twin may join the ranks. 

Next big team event is the xmas pub crawl, well until 10 O'clock that is...


#61 Williams

 

With no racing for me to wobble around to, I managed to take both bikes to Bedford Autodrome for a track day. The sun shone and some excellent fun was had.

 


#74 Heggs 

I have had a busy month with work so I wasn’t too sad to see Pembrey canceled ( would only have been jealous whilst sat in a classroom). As I had not intended to attend due to said work commitments, it should be unsurprising that I haven’t exactly capitalised on this extra time by hitting track days or even fixing my stable of broken machines yet.

 The RD250 has now got a barrel ready to fit thanks to Racing Green. The bottom end of the engine has already been built ready for this so should be a case of throwing it back together and running her back up.

The VFR750 has continued to wait patiently for some fairing repairs but a fresh new screen has been installed (I shall try not to get brake fluid all over this one). 

The CBR400RR NC29 has also had a little progress with the start of a 3D printed front fairing stay design getting offered up and the front end getting rebuilt with NC30 parts.

I have finally got a gas bottle for the R-tech mig welder I bought a little while ago and wow is it easy to use compared to tig! I might even get tat van welded up at this rate.

 

#157 Woodward

 

We missed the Barry Sheene Memorial Trophy races and I didn't feel like entering the Scarborough Gold Cup meeting on the Superstock 750, as Oliver’s Mount isn't the best track for the maiden race of a newly built bike. So I set my sights on Pembrey at the end of September. My most favourite circuit in the country, the ideal place for my first and last race of the year. Unfortunately it fell through with a week to go so I decided to take a trip to Knockhill, what could go wrong with a trip to Scotland in October. My son and I took two Honda MT125s, a Kawasaki ZXR400 and a Honda VFR400 for some excellent racing. The rain even stopped after qualifying so we got damp and then dry races.  With the exception of a couple of Pit Bike outings that’s the end for this year, but with 11 bikes needing various levels of attention it’s not going to be a quiet winter and I better start sooner than later.
Life would be a lot simpler if I had a bigger garage!!!!!!



If you want to stay up to speed with the ups and downs of the team you could do worse than to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

For our longer reads, you are already in the right place. THis is where we post our race reviews and other articles on Blogger

If you want some nail biting viewing, we also have a YouTube channel. So far it is a list of videos gleaned from our various members and other racing disciplines in the RAFMSA but expect some original content soon.

The Classic Racing Motorcycle Club (CRMC) offer live timing and have race results going back years so if you can’t make it to come watch the action you can still stay up to date.

All serving RAF team members race under the banner of the Royal Air Force Motorsports Association (RAFMSA) or as associates for our Veterans. If you are serving and wish to get involved with motorsports you can find all the contact details you will need on the RAFMSA website or get in contact directly with us.

 

 

Finally special thanks go to the companies who continue to support us:

Royal Air Force Motorsports Association, Royal Air Force Central Fund,  

EBC brakes UK, NGK spark plugs UK, Stahlwille UK, Classic Racing Green,

R-Tech Welding, Ragged edge racing, Talon Engineering, Forcefield body armour,

MCA Leicester, Spencer Racing, Tony Salt Tyres, Witham group Motul, PJMphotography, Speedsnap, Hel performance brakes and individual sponsors:

Symon Woodward: Mick Abbey tuning.

Andy Green: New Era Restorations


Comments