Race review - Mallory Park 2019 Round 6


Intro
With summer closing, temperatures dropping and showers creeping in; we were unsure of what to expect but hopeful for sunshine and mostly dry racing.
A very simple formula, working backwards; of one fast hair pin, no edwinas and that long balls out corner known as Gerards makes for a lot of fun which is over in under a minute if things are going well. Mallory park: It may be small but it is still a lot of fun.
Racing this weekend were Gavin Heggs, Johnathan Browns, Mick Rudd and Symon Woodward with Jon Walton and Roy Dale in support. 
Post Classic 500 air cooled
#157 Woodward
What a great weekend, with a mix of weather, fantastic racing, some ups and downs and use of all of my 9 lives. The air-cooled bikes raced with the faster, race thoroughbred TZ350s but Olly Bingham, myself and John Warrick were the top 3 air-cooled bikes managing to qualify 6th, 7th and 8th and all within ½ second of each other.
In the collection area for the first race a few drops started falling. By the end of the sighting lap it was raining and by the second lap it was “chucking it down”. 
After a lap John, TZ mounted Ant Hart, myself and Olly had broke away at the front in that order. As the rain became heavier Ant slipped back to fourth and I was leading by the 3rd lap. I was still in front at the start of the 7th lap and started dreaming of beating everybody including all of the TZs, although Olly and John kept appearing by the side of me to remind me they were never far away. All of a sudden on the 7th Lap Ant surprised me by powering past on the exit of the Esses. I hesitated and this enabled John and Olly to also power past. 1st to 4th in a matter of seconds!!!! Going into the hairpin on the following and final lap John lost the front trying to get round Olly so I was promoted upto 3rd but the second or so I lost trying to avoid John ensured I had no chance of catching Olly so finished 2nd behind him and 3rd overall. Despite being wet through we all thoroughly enjoyed the race and I can quite honestly say I have never been out the saddle so many times in one race.
The 2nd race was dry and Ant Hart disappeared into the distance leaving John, Olly and I to battle it out behind. Having caught and passed Olly and John I thought I had it in the bag but a moment's hesitation, due to a backmarker, on the last lap going into the hairpin was all John needed to somehow get in front. I am still not quite sure how he pulled it off but it was a “ballsy” move. John beat me by a bike length over the line with Olly just behind, but on returning to the pits I discovered that I was giving (undeservedly!!) a 10 second penalty for jumping the start, dropping me 3 places.
The 3rd race was another good battle with John, but Olly got caught in traffic and never joined us. This time it was my turn to win by ½ second, setting a new lap record in the process. This filled me with confidence for the last race but as with all highs, there are always some lows and after making my best start of the weekend, I gapped the other two only to retire on an engine failure in the 3rd lap.
600 Junior Production
#45 Brown
Yet again another fantastic weekend, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the track. Apart from starting with a small hick up of cooking the battery, from enthusiastic use of the starter motor, following a quick battery change absolutely no problems.
This was the first weekend I had an air of confidence about me. From the start I was able to push and each session I got faster and faster, even though a small track at only a minute a lap, rather than the usual ten, from mid pack. Even though I had the usual conversation with one of the top riders “You’re not braking for that corner are you?”, “Yes and I may get rid of a gear, thank you my good Sir”. I also want to say thank you to EBC Brakes, it was again apparent in this class, I felt, I couldn’t carry the same corner speeds as the FZs the brakes really helped me make a few places in hard braking areas.  

#61 Rudd
My first full weekend with the FZ was a great experience with improvements made over the weekend.
 Qualifying was a little disappointing while getting to grips with the bike and track. The very fast Gerards highlighted an issue with the suspension which was resolved between race one and two. This gave a massive improvement. Throughout the races there was some good battles with Brown and other competitors and my lap times improved by 5 seconds. Thanks to Spen Spencer for the loan of the bike. Bring on Snetterton.  
RAFMSA Production takeover in full force! PJM Photography

Superbike 1/Formula 750
#45 Brown
It has now become the norm that I am becoming more competitive in the superbike class. Due to the battery cooking incident, I was unable to make practice, however I was able to finish above last in (nearly) all races.  The second race was the only wet race of the weekend for me, although picking up more points in my category of the class my only goal was to finish the race, which I did tentatively! Generally again in this class I was more competitive battling with guys who normally leave me.
Post Classic 750 SUPERSTOCK
#74 Heggs 
Race 1
After a wet but drying race on the RD250, I was out on the VFR. I felt confident that the circuit had a pretty dry line for the most part so set off with a bit more enthusiasm than some others on the grid. This was enough to bump me up 6 places not quite managing to catch James Vigurs on his GPX before the flag fell.
Race 2
The second superstock 750 race of Saturday didn’t quite make it out before the 1800 cut off time so we were first out on a sunny yet cool Sunday morning. I had a fairly average start but pushed on to take Stephen Cross leaving me closing Michael Judkins till Richard Rowe, who had clearly had a mare of a start got between us. Cross soon followed but this might have been helpful in fact as he dragged me along nicely as we traded placed on our various advantage spots till we passed Judkins. Sadly I couldn’t quite get passed the sky blue GSXR of Cross as we finished 0.5 of a second apart. I had also comfortably broken the minute  with a high 58 second lap time.
Race 3


Another good race with plenty of close racing. I got an early tow off of Ian Myers on his big Triumph superbike for a few laps before Rowe got the best of me at the hairpin again and they sped up as they raced one another. We pressed on clearing back markers but I couldn’t quite keep with them. A few tenths of a second were shaved off of my lap time still.

Race 4
With Judkins now starting behind me I was in that slightly scary place where you know he will be chasing you down and not the other way round. I caught the FZ of Philip Jonker but a pretty desperate block pass on the hairpin which stood everyone up by Rowe separated us for a lap till he could get passed more cleanly at the John Cooper esses allowing me to follow him through. I held this place to the end finishing up with a low 58 second lap time which I was quite pleased with.
Post Classic 250 air cooled
As the season draws to an end, thoughts moved towards championship positions and it was noticed that Heggs and Woodward were in contention for the PC250 3rd place with Heggs unusually in front due to Woodward chickening out of Anglesey and Pembrey. There were also outside contenders involved too so Heggs (who seems to do well at Mallory) had a lot of catching up to do to have any real hopes against the far more experienced Woodward. There was also the possibility of a classic Woodward bike failure or red mist moment that could well turn things around if all else failed.
Race 1
#74 Heggs 
 Much how I would have loved to go at this all guns blazing I really didn’t want to mess up my weekend so went steady in the wet knowing I would have better racing later in the day when it was dry.




#157 Woodward
The 250 race was the second race after the 500 race, so for most of the grid it was a wet track but for John Warrick and I who were out in the monsoon of the 500 race it was positively dry. This didn't really help me as I spent the whole race racing Jerry Longland for second as John Warrick gapped us.Jerry and I were having so much fun we didn't even notice what everybody else was doing. The race consisted of some “adventurous but courteous” antics, generally resulting in some unusual lines through the Esses (with a few shoulder barges) and outbreaking each other into the hairpin. During one lap we were so intent on beating each other Jerry ended up on the grass on the outside of the hairpin. I eventually beat him to claim 2nd.

Race 2 
#74 Heggs 
I had a good start with me on the tail of Graham Acott which is the man I needed to beat. I wasn’t upset at all when Andy Guy thumped past me and indicated for me to follow him. He had taken the time to give me some advice early on and this would be a good lesson. Unfortunately this was when the bike started to cut out periodically. It wasn’t costing me a lot but it was enough to take away my straight line advantage and seeing as Guy quickly passed Acott, I also lost my tow. I dropped back slowly but just about managed to keep my head above water to finish one place behind Graham by some distance.
 
#157 Woodward
The second race was similar to the first except in the dry, with Jerry finishing over the line 3 hundreths of a second in front of me to take second. If the line was 3 yards further down the road I reckon I would have nicked it.

Race 3
#74 Heggs 
After a night of poking about at electric connection and not really finding anything, I wasn’t hugely confident my bike was fixed even if it seemed okay.
I had a superb start finding myself a little under 2 seconds off the tail of championship leader Jerry Longland after the first lap. A lazy line through Gerards let Graham pass me round the outside but I wasn’t going to lose him this time. I stayed close and stuck my nose in any gap I could find but not quite finishing any pass for a while. We both passed and exchanged places with the ever so smooth Richard Chetham which was a good sign we were both going well. Disaster was very narrowly avoided when Barry Mason and Stephen hands both tried to pass me up the inside at the hairpin (I really should stop leaving that option open), as they exited the corner they both cut diagonally across my line forcing me to snap my throttle closed and brake to avoid them. I was too hard on the throttle as I opened back up, bouncing me into a crossed up wheely towards the bus stop which wasn’t ideal. This set me back, but a fair amount of red mist got me back passed Mason and hot on the tail of Acott and Hands for the last lap. I managed to pass Acott on the finish line by about a wheel. Close stuff with the bike running superbly and I had managed a 1.01 lap time which really wrapped up a good race for me.

#157 Woodward
What a race, although places were always exchanged around the circuit with John and Mike Hose, I lead over the line for the first 4 laps.
I must admit, going through the Esses 3-a-breast was quite an experience, and going by several spectators comments, quite surprising we all made it through. I slipped a couple of seconds off John and Mike by the final lap but was caught napping by Jerry into the hairpin who stole up the inside. I knew he would go defensive through the bus stop so I hung back slightly to get a better drive through and then out-drag him down to the line. Unfortunately on the exit it took me several attempts to hook 3rd gear (ongoing weekend problem) and I failed to beat Jerry.

Race 4
#74 Heggs 
I set off well again, briefly annoying John Warwick before settling in behind Andy Guy. Unfortunately the bike was now feeling a bit fluffy (something a few other 2T riders reported themselves) so I dropped off with Acott sneaking through. I don’t know how many times Chetham and I swapped places but when he passed Acott, I couldn’t quite close the gap enough before the race ended. A bit disappointing but we did our best. 

#157 Woodward
This time I lead for 3 laps before John bravely swept around the outside of me going into the Esses. Knowing that you can’t let him break away I dived up the inside of the hairpin trying to simulate the block pass John did to the backmarker in the 500 race on the Saturday. It had the desired effect that I stopped John turning in but it left a huge gap behind for Mike to instantly promote himself from 3rd to first. You could almost see a speech bubble coming out of his helmet, “Cheers Easy!!!”. Over the next couple of laps John pulled a few seconds on me and Jerry seemed off the pace a little coming in behind me.
Meanwhile in the PC250 pillion and rider race... PJM Photography

In Closing
#45 Brown
All round great weekend, loved the track more than I thought I would, cannot wait to get back. As usual, thank you to my pit crew Mick and Roy for helping me with the XJs aliments. This weekend the Empress’s oil use was more apparent than usual, this led to very sooty plugs, but thank you to NGK as regardless of this the bike never missed a beat. Looking forward to Snetteron already! 
#71 Rudd
 A great weekend with no bike issues. The novelty of actually having track time is something I could get used to. Looking ahead to Snetterton the FZ will be out in the production class and I will hopefully be running a newly built RD 250 in the PC 250 class. Fingers crossed. 
#74 Heggs 
 I was really unhappy with Saturday but Sunday made up for it no-trouble. Both the VFR and the RD had their moments with some really close racing amongst friends. I would have liked the 250 class to have gone a little better but no fairytale endings here. I now look forward to Snetterton and will cling on to some fairly respectable lap times I put in here at one of my favourite circuits. 

#157 Woodward
What a brilliant weekend’s racing. Hard, fair, safeish racing with a great bunch of riders, just a pity Andy Green and some of the other RAF 250 riders were not there to increase the fun. It was also a shame the 500 decided to have a piston failure 6 laps before I had scheduled to change the pistons, but still a great weekend.


You can keep catch up with our ups and downs with these race reviews which closely follow each race on our Blogger account. You can also Stay up to date with our goings on as they happen on Facebook and Twitter.
The Classic Racing Motorcycle Club (CRMC) offer live timing and have race results going back years so if you can’t make it to come watch the action you can still stay up to date with the help of 
We race under the banner of the Royal Air Force Motorsports Association (RAFMSA). If you are serving and wish to get involved with motorsports you can find all the contact details you will need on the RAFMSA website.


Finally special thanks go to the companies who continue to support us:
and individual sponsors:
Symon Woodward: Mick Abbey tuning.

Comments